This contract is available to schools in County Durham and has been provided by Taylor Shaw since 2008. The current contract is used by almost 200 schools and is closely monitored by a contract management board which includes representatives from the council’s catering support and corporate procurement, primary schools and Taylor Shaw.
Our catering support team can also provide schools with advice outside of the contract in relation to school meals, including statutory compliance for Education England.
Benefits of using the contract
- proven history of delivering schools meals within County Durham primary schools
- contract managed and audited by us and independently audited to ensure due diligence
- nil cost to schools, in real terms, only pay for actual meals served
- fully managed staffing, recruitment and training, including safeguarding and allergen management
- annual awards held for talented school cooks and managers
- seasonal, child friendly menus which meet the governments food standards
- meat, vegetables, fruit, bread and milk are sourced through local suppliers which keeps down food miles and supports the local economy
- provision of an array of special diets, including those in relation to diabetes
- themed days, which schools can opt in or out of, with marketing materials provided
- attendance and participation by the provider in school nutrition action groups (SNAGS) or school council meetings and the promotion of healthy eating
- operating management systems, including food safety, health and safety and Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH)
- social value initiatives delivered into schools such as “fun to cook” sessions and “smoothie bike events” where young people can cycle on a static bike and make smoothies from fruit
This contract is available to schools in County Durham.