ICT School Services are able to offer a free solution for remote teaching and learning using SIMSID and Microsoft Teams. SIMSID links with SIMS to create pupils accounts in Microsoft 365 for those children who are recorded on SIMS. When new pupils are added to SIMS their account is automatically generated in 365. When pupils are recorded as leavers in SIMS their accounts are disabled in 365.
Schools on our office 365 provision and SIMS can request Class Teams to work with the pupil accounts and make use of Teams video meetings to hold virtual lessons and contact sessions with pupils.
As well as the video meeting capabilities Class Teams also have a class notebook which provides each student with their own private workspace within the team which the teacher can see but other pupils can’t. Each pupil can only see their own notebook. It gives pupils somewhere to store their work, all within Teams, rather than having to save work elsewhere. Teachers have full access to each pupil notebook and all other areas of the class Team and Class Notebook.
In the interest of pupil safeguarding and security there are a number of restrictions added to pupil accounts as standard.
- Pupil accounts are hidden from the global address list so cannot be found by other users on our Office 365 tenancy
- Pupils are unable to initiate a video call in the Class Team, only teachers can do this.
- Pupils are unable to start a recording within a meeting. Teachers can record a meeting.
- Pupil accounts can’t delete posts on the Class Team area.
- Pupils cannot have private chats with each other in Teams – the chat feature is disabled for pupils.
- Pupils have restricted email accounts. They cannot send/receive emails outside of our Office 365 environment and have no access to address lists so cannot find other users.
If you are interested in pupil accounts and Class Teams for your school, please contact us.